Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Self-Denial

Or that's what I think the sermon was about.

You see, it was like this:

I was at church with my four munchkins, sans Hubs. Said munchkins were restless and after the forty-third "when can we go to Power Kids?" so was I. Especially when the announcements went W-A-Y long. I finally got the big three settled in their respective classes and condemned myself to the nursing mother's room in the basement. No sooner had my bum hit the floor with the bambino then I see the sermon title flashed up on the monitor. I think it said Self-Denial. I know I groaned.

Blah, blah, blah. Pay now or pay later. We live in an instant society. With all this credit we don't think we have to wait for anything. Discipline now if you want your children to bless you in your old age. Blah, blah, blah.

I don't mean disrespect in those blah, blahs. I mean, this is all stuff I know and sometimes wish I didn't. I can't tell you how badly I wanted to slap down a credit card yesterday and buy my kids new beds. But his whole delayed gratification kept ringing in my ears. As it did when I wanted to go out for ice cream. And dinner. And coffee. Because it was a "holiday," ya know. And I couldn't do any of them and enjoy myself so I fed my family left overs all day. (which we are very thankful to have...)

There's a reason that even when you go through Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University, you should still sit in on a class every now and then. This sermon was the same kind of thing. He didn't say anything new, it just didn't hurt to hear it again.

Although I'll say this: I do feel like we've been through some pain so it seems like our time should be a comin', but I suppose God doesn't necessarily agree, nor should I presume to force my time to come.

But some days, I want my gratification NOW.

That's all.

No comments: