Wednesday, February 20, 2008

He Does It Again

So last night I participated in what was basically a verbal warm fuzzy. You'd think something like this would make me awaken this day with a sense of hope or maybe a remnant feeling of good but no, I'm swimming in self-loathing. I feel worse about myself and my life today than I did before people were put on the spot to say something nice about me. And all I wanted to do was "check out." Not in the suicidal way, but in the curl up in bed, drop out of everything and let my house go to pot way.

And instead of saying all that, I was going to come on here and make some inane comments about shopping for jeans (I'll do that tomorrow or later today). But first I checked my email when what do I find in my inbox from Kim Potter but this:

I was talking with a friend the other day about how we walk through different seasons and some seasons can be really tough. Some seasons are wilderness experiences.
The Bible says that God leads His people through the wilderness to see what is in their heart, to see if they will continue to serve Him, even in the wilderness.
In my own life, I have found that there is always a time when my faith is confirmed. A time when my faith is put through the fire of the word of God. It's really like an open book test. We already have all the instructions. We have the outcome already written out for us - all we have to do is listen for the voice of God and obey it. When we do that, we are promised that no matter how hot the fire gets, we will come through without the smell of smoke.
We have a promise from God declaring that He will lead us through the wilderness and bring us out into an abundant place. But we must come out to enter into that abundant place. We can't make camp in the wilderness.
That is what I find many people do - they get in the middle of their wilderness and decide they don't want to do it anymore or it isn't working for them - so they pitch their tent in the wilderness. And when you pitch your tent in the wilderness - you have to live from the wilderness, with all it's dry places, lack of food, lack of water, lack of rest and you will labor for everything you get.
Don't pitch your tent in the wilderness - keep walking. Keep talking, keep saying what the word of God says. Just keep moving. Don't stop. If you are going through one of the worst times in your life, why would you stop there? Keep walking, it has to come out somewhere. And as I said, we have a promise, it comes out into an abundant place. The Promised Land. All God's promises are there for you. Those who endure to the end, who hold their confidence steadfast to the end - they have a reward and that reward is exactly what God has said belonged to them.
I love the scripture in Philippines 3:13-15 - it talks about pressing on - keeping on - to keep on moving toward the prize. Let me share the Message Bible translation with you: Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward - to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back. So let's keep focused on that goal, those of us who want everything God has for us. If any of you have something else in mind, something less than total commitment, God will clear your blurred vision - you'll see it yet!
I have gone through seasons where I would have loved to have given up. I would have loved to quit. But there was something in me, urging me on - that something was God - beckoning me on - reminding me what was at the end. His promise for me was at the end.
There were months when my mouth was declaring what I knew by faith and I continued to speak faith. But on the inside, my flesh was wanting to lay down and give up. Yet something in me, God, would not allow me to quit. So, I was off and running, I would not even look back.
The Bible says God is doing a new thing - don't look back. Remember what happened to Lots wife when she looked back? Don't look back! There is nothing for you there - the promise is ahead of you. Your future is bright! God has already paved a way for you through the blood of Jesus. Press on. Press on toward all He has for you. Refuse to look back - refuse to turn back and whatever you do, don't set up camp in the wilderness. Every day that you continue walking in the word of God brings you a day closer to your promise.
When you go to sleep tonight, remind yourself that you made progress today - you are a day closer to all God has promised you. Do you hear that voice beckoning you on? That voice is God and He is calling you forward - to Jesus - the finisher of your faith. In the end your faith will speak. In the end, your faith will show forth what you have been declaring - in the end, you will see it with your eyes.
Press On!


1 comment:

Angelique Newman said...

I loved your blog. Well put and very inspirational:) Thanks.