Monday, March 01, 2010

Mother-Daughter Duet

I have a mother and a daughter, therefore this book struck me as a need-to-read even though my daughter's adult years are far off and I AM the adult daughter. I must admit, however, that this book was more informative for someone in my lifestage than I expected. It helped me better understand what my mom is thinking when she says things that I perceive as criticism. And it made me rethink how I say things to my daughter ALREADY (she's 8).  So that subtitle of "Getting to the relationship you want with your adult daughter" is a little misleading. I see things in there that mother's of boys should read and mothers of young girls. And adult daughters. I intend to pass this one around frequently.

From the back cover and the publicist:

When a daughter is born, her mother has a thousand hopes and dreams for her, especially that they will be best friends one day.

Unfortunately, even the best of intentions can go awry. There are so many challenges on the journey to adult friendship that the reality is fraught with friction and frustration. But a harmonious relationship is possible.

Award-winning author Cheri Fuller and her daughter, Ali Plum, have been there and have discovered the keys to a healthy relationship. In Mother-Daughter Duet they share their story—each from her own perspective—in which they have experienced distance and tension, growth and challenge, and, ultimately, acceptance and harmony. Filled with personal anecdotes and based on several basic principles (letting go; listening; respect; setting boundaries; and more), Mother-Daughter Duet helps moms repair the breach so that daughters want to draw close.

The mother-daughter dynamic is intense, personal, complex, and unique. But mothers and daughters can achieve mutual respect and learn to celebrate their differences when they learn the two-part harmony of the mother-daughter duet.

Cheri Fuller is a best-selling, award-winning author whose books have sold more than one million copies. She speaks to a wide range of women at women’s conferences and is a frequent guest on national radio and television programs.
Ali Plum is Cheri’s daughter, a writer and songwriter, a wife, and a mother to Noah and Luke. She and her mom have weathered the ups and downs of their relationship to find one of the most treasured, honest relationships of their lives. Ali has recorded background vocals for popular musicians, and Mother-Daughter Duet marks her debut into book publishing.

No comments: