Monday, October 24, 2011

Perseverance



A friend of mine suggested a couple weeks ago that I camp in James during our wait. At the time it didn't do much for me, but on Friday, when I was considering allowing myself to have a mental break, I found James chapter 1 to be very reassuring.

2 Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters,[a] whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. 4 Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. 5 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. 6 But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. 7 That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. 8 Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do.

Yesterday in church, I found all the songs and the sermon to be about being OK while in the (figurative) dark. (A friend of mine just emailed to tell me that the sermon was about expectation. I love it when God does that. Multiple messages, same words.)

So, this is where I am today.

My daughter, on the other hand is CERTAIN we are getting a court date....today. As the courts are closed for the night, I'm not holding out too much hope. I hope her faith isn't shattered. And, shoot, maybe, just maybe, we'll get on in the Ethiopian morning after our business day is over.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jamie, that is awesome. That book was my refuge. And I can't remember if I mentioned 1:17. It is monogrammed on Olivia's wall today. She is indeed my good and perfect gift. I think I will go kiss that gift right now :>)