Tuesday, March 14, 2006

It Was Bound to Happen

It's not like I didn't expect it. The thought that it might come through email yesterday did flit across my mind. Many, many days I even forgot the potential was out there. Because it was so far out there. But today I have that song, I think it was called "Suspicion," running through my mind. But it goes a little like this:

Ahhhhh Rejection....

That's all. I can't get past that line. Can't hear any more of that song. And I can't be disappointed. What kind of whacked writer must I be that I am almost relieved to have another rejection under my belt? And a form letter to boot. It did give me a good chuckle. One year, one month, thirteen days, and eighteen hours for a form letter. That's how long I waited to be rejected by these people.

I was getting too big for my britches. Too many great things said about my first few pages by people who should know. When the rejections came, they came with personalized comments, suggestions for betterment.

Maybe that is my problem. I followed many of the suggestions. Now I'm getting form letter rejections. I've probably sucked the life right out of my story.

Now, even I hate it. YES! IT IS BORING! YOU'RE RIGHT! SHE IS WHINEY! I KNOW! WHAT AM I TRYING TO SAY?

If I can just get two more rejections in my inbox, I can shelve this stupid book and go back to sitting on my couch and watching bad reality TV.

Better yet. Read other peoples books that made it past the slush pile.

Sounds heavenly.

2 comments:

Sue Jackson said...

Hello -

I found your blog just from randomly browsing at blogspot and wanted to let you know I enjoyed it! Your recent entries about your kids and their stomach virus were very funny (probably less so to you) just because any Mom can relate to what you're going through. I was also interested to read that you're a writer and book reviewer. I am also a mother, writer, and reviewer. Take a look at my book blog (www.bookbybook.blogspot.com), if you get a break from cleaning up messes!

Jessica Dotta said...

Eeek, Jamie,
Sorry about the rejection. I've had my fair share lately. Your writing is fabulous though! Great blog! It suits you to a T. I've started one, but I'm not upkeeping it yet.
Jessica