Wednesday, December 19, 2007

From American Family Association w/ commentary ala Chaos

I got the following from American Family Association. Frankly, we don't do presidential primary elections here, so I don't usually bother to learn too much about the candidates. All too often I get all excited about the guy that doesn't win anyway. But I've got some friends who are all into Mike Huckabee and the more I hear about him, the more I like him, too.

But, even if you don't like the guy, you've got to agree with me that the following borders on the ridiculous. Since when is it illegal to "appeal to the religious vote?" Are we religious people not allowed to vote? Is Barak Obama not appealing to the religious vote? Pretty sure I've read about his religious beliefs in Time or Newsweek or something--back when my dad thought he'd run for president and I'd never heard of him.

So all I'm saying is this: if it offends people that Huck professes Jesus Christ... Deal. If it offends enough people, he won't be president. If more people want to vote for him because he does...deal. THAT'S WHY WE LIVE IN AMERICA. The power of the vote. Call it a democracy, call it a republic, but remember that if the majority (of the electorate) votes the guy in, HE'S PRESIDENT, whether the minority likes it or not. Frankly Hillary Clinton offends me. But if she makes president...I'll have to deal. I'll whine, but I'll deal. It comes with the privilege of living here.

Anyway, you should watch the videos. They are interesting. Especially Merideth getting all het up about ole Mike "appealing" to the "religious" vote. (At least someone I can get behind is.) Oh, and the "cross" in the background? If they didn't do it on purpose (as they claim) God must be chuckling in Heaven. It is PER-FECT.



The latest effort to spread the idea that religion has no place in the public square comes as a response to a TV spot produced by presidential candidate Mike Huckabee.

I urge you to watch the two video clips I have placed in this e-mail. First, is the ad by former Governor Huckabee wishing people a Merry Christmas. Click here to watch the 30-second ad.

Next, is a clip from the Today Show (Dec. 18), hosted by Meredith Vieira, on which Governor Huckabee was a guest. Vieira opens the interview talking about how some say the ad is sending an overt religious appeal to voters.


Some have become so openly hostile to the Christian faith that they are upset when a candidate simply wishes viewers Merry Christmas and mentions that --after all-- Christmas is the day Christians celebrate the birth of Christ.

The governor is accused of putting a cross in the background of his ad. The 'cross' they find offensive is nothing more than a bookcase. The critics say also the three lights stand for the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit! What is disappointing is that the media grabs such a concoction and makes big news out of this ad.

To me, these accusations are utterly silly, and biased. Watch the clip from the Today Show. There are those who feel that nothing religious, especially wishing people Merry Christmas, should be made by anyone seeking public office. That is the attitude of those who want to drive religion from the public square.

3 comments:

Julie Carobini said...

Someone just emailed me a list of opening lines from presidential speeches that mentioned Christmas. Too long to post here, but I thought you'd enjoy seeing at least one:

Ronald Reagan stated in his Christmas Address, DECEMBER 20, 1983:

"Sometimes, in the hustle and bustle of holiday preparations we forget the true meaning of Christmas...the birth of the Prince of Peace, Jesus Christ...During this glorious festival let us renew our determination to follow His example."

Don't you love it?

Angi said...

While Huckabee isn't my choice - I don't see what's wrong with him purposefully appealing to the Christian voter. Obama tries to appeal to the African-American voter. Hillary the women.

jeffn21 said...

I fear huckabee, but not because he is a Christian. I am a strong Christian and i love the fact that the Rep's go after the Christian vote.

But Jimmy Carter was a Christian and one of the worst presidents in history. Huckabee needs to read the Bible. Jesus never said that the Roman empire should take care of the poor, he said individual Christians should. I do not like the idea of expanding government one bit.