Sunday, March 22, 2009

Finding God in The Shack by Randal Rauser

The first time I heard about The Shack it was from someone outraged about its contents.

I'd never heard of the book. I didn't know the premise. I knew no-thing. So I had nothing to base any thoughts on, whatsoever. Other than that I basically trust the person who was so offended by the book. As he'd brought it up in a writer's group, there were several opinions thrown around and the gist I got was that The Shack was heresy and I should avoid it at all costs.

You can imagine my surprise, then, when my God-fearing MIL began talking about this book as if it had something of value inside. It didn't drive me to read it, mind you, but it made me take another think.

Fast forward a few more months and who is recommending that I gotta-read-this-book but my youth pastor's wife! I thought, for the love of all things holy, don't the people in my church know better? Heresy!

Sooooooo.....

When the book Finding God In The Shack came up for review I thought it MUST be time for me to explore a bit more.

I have to say, that Mr. Rauser has tipped the scales and I am now officially intrigued. He gives a lot of scriptural references and thought into his book and I'm ready to tackle The Shack, with my reference at the ready.

I'm not saying for sure what my final decision on The Shack will be. That has yet to be determined. But if you are feeling as conflicted as I was regarding it, you might want to read this one first.

3 comments:

mommy4life said...

Very timely...

ORANGEHOUSE said...

I loved The Shack. I thought it was full of deep dialog that was full of theological depth and practical implication. I can see why some might consider it heretical, but only if they didn't really read it. I feel like I can defend the heart of the author. And it is fiction, after all. Have you finished it yet? Have I offended you with my comment?

Chaos-Jamie said...

Offended? No. Though it is pretty hard to offend me by liking a book. Pinking on my kids, on the other hand...

I still haven't read it. Had it in my possession since Sunday but been reading other books that I "wanted" to read instead.