Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Vanity, thy name....

My eyes are driving me crazy. Ever since the morning I left for Philadelphia, I've had trouble with them. The night before I left, they were really dry (my clue that it is time to change my contacts) so the next morning I put in new ones. The left one bothered my eye so much I went around with only one for a while. Kept trying and finally gave up and put in a new new one (thinking it must have a tiny tear in it or something) which also bothered my eye...but not as much. I climbed on the plane expecting my eye to get used to it when the irritation from the phantom tear wore off.

Two weeks later it still hasn't worn off.

Maybe it is because I'm so vain. Yes, I'm trudging all over Philadelphia where no one knows me but my mom and sisters (all three intimately familiar with every ugly thing about me physically, mentally, spiritually, etc., etc.), but I continue to put in the blasted contacts rather than wear my glasses.

Could it be that my glasses are from 1991? Possibly.

Could it be that I don't see the optometrist as often as I should, don't change my contacts as often as I should, and don't rest my eyes as often as I should? Yes.

But I can't stand it anymore. I want to claw my eyes out. So today I'm wearing my glasses. I even wore them a lot this weekend with all my in-laws in town. I didn't apologize for my ugliness, I just wore my glasses. And they didn't make fun of me.

Frankly I'm surprised. They mercilessly teased Hubs about his ugly glasses until he got new ones (that they funded for his birthday last year). Personally, I think he prefers his old ugly ones (for seeing, not for public appearances. There the new ones win, hands down). I suppose I was spared because they never see me in glasses and might think I actually like these.

Surely not. Surely they think I have better taste than this. (I know I tend towards tacky sometimes, but these glasses...ugh.)

Anyway, I'm not wearing the glasses to the pool this afternoon. I'm too vain. And I have to wear sunglasses if I don't want a headache. But other than that, I'm putting my vanity on the shelf. I have got to get my eyes healed up.

The first thing I do when I have a spare million dollars is have my eyes lasered. (Unless I just spring for the new glasses.)

No comments: