Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Anyone Else Do This?

My kids beg me to go to the park every single time I pick them up from school.

(Partly because I don't usually pick them up. Imperfect Mom does. So, if I do, we are obviously going to do something awesome.)

Most days I say something like, "No." Possibly, "Not today." And occasionally, "When do you honestly think I have time to go to the park? The house is a disaster and since you obviously aren't planning to help me pick up your toys I have to go through them and throw at least ninety percent of them away 'cause I am sick, SICK I tell you, of picking them up myself and then being put on a guilt trip for not having time to take you to the park!"

But yesterday was lovely and I was heading out to pick up then kids when I thought, "Hey, I bet the kids will ask to go to the park and I might be able to handle that kind of outing today. The house is so trashed that another three hours won't help." At which point I threw in a thermos of ice water and a bag of crackers along with my stroller.

The whole time at the park the kids play well and hard. I feel better just being outside, plus I walk a few laps around the walking trail that runs beside the playground. We all come home in better moods and hungry and exhausted.

And I wonder, "Why don't we do this everyday?"

3 comments:

mommy4life said...

My sunburn attests to our park trip yesterday......

Anonymous said...

The park comes before the house work, because when it rains the next day you'll be stuck in the house.

Rhea said...

I can SO relate to this post. My kids would love to go to parks every day or have friends over every day. And, half the time I'm struggling to keep my head above water! But, I want them to get plenty of outside time and friend time...

Anyway, I hear ya sista!