Friday, May 16, 2008

And So It Begins (again)

Warning: I admit there is a bit of parental pride in the words that follow. Read at your own risk.

Princess came to me this morning a bit downhearted. It seems her girlfriends were talking about what they were going to do after school. One was going to put on lip gloss. Another was going to do her hair. Another was going to ballet. You get the idea. When it came time for Princess to answer, she said, "I'm going to go home and read my Bible!" (She has a little devotional Bible that is really mostly devotion and a bit of Bible.)

Her best friend/worst enemy (isn't that how girls are?) replied, "What kind of a girl are you?!"

Unfortunately for Princess, she inherited the rough and tumble, bookworm gene from me. She will pretty herself up with the best of them when she's in the mood, but most of the time we are jeans-wearin'-book-totin'-fresh-faced-sunburned-skinned-knee kinda girls. And I like us that way. I only hope that my Princess will continue to be herself without worrying what her friends will think.

I know. Wishful thinking.

(And yes, I also see that being herself is a bit of being me. She is allowed to not be me if that is what she's after.)

No comments: