Monday, January 26, 2009

Wanna Get Published?

Early last week I got a strange email from a friend in Colorado Springs congratulating me on my latest article publication. As I had nothing due to come out this month, you can imagine my confusion. When she told me which article it was, I was further confounded--it was an article that had been published in late 2007, but she assured me that it was "new."

On Wednesday, I got a check from the organization. As I finished an article for them in December (due out in the late spring), I thought odd, I got the check before the contract. When I opened it, it was about half pay (well, about 1/4 pay for the one I recently wrote). But the line on the check referenced the article I sold in 2007.

On Thursday, I got a copy of the article which was on the cover of a bulletin insert (whoot!) without about half of the article chopped out (thus the half pay).

I'd heard that resale was the freelance writer's bread and butter, but I didn't know that sometimes articles resold themselves.

Emphasis on "sometimes."

Because most of the time money for words doesn't come that easily, I present to you the can't-do-without resource for Christian writers:

Do you write? Looking to get published? Do you need some direction? If you answered ‘yes’ to any of these questions, then you cannot afford to miss out on the Christian Writers’ Market Guide 2009. For over 20 years, author Sally Stuart produces this amazing resource, filled with trusted content. The only one of it’s kind, the 2009 Edition includes the latest information on more than 100 editors and publishers, conferences, writers’ groups, and more are not only listed and indexed in the book, but this year, readers will get a code in the book and on the CD-Rom for accessing more updates through the year on author Sally Stuart’s web site, www.stuartmarket.com. A must-have!

The Resource Guide to Getting Published

For 24 years running, the Christian Writers’ Market Guide has remained the most comprehensive, complete, essential, and highly-recommended resource for beginning and veteran Christian writers, agents, editors, publishers, publicists, and those teaching writing classes.

This year’s Guide is even handier with a CD-Rom included that features the full text of the book for easy searches of topics, publishers, and markets, as well as 100 pages of exclusive content including indexes and writing resource listings.

This is the resource you need to get noticed—and published.

Completely updated and revised to feature the latest on…

  • more than 1,200 markets for the written word
  • 416 book publishers (32 new)
  • 654 periodicals (52 new)
  • 96 literary agents
  • 100 new listings in Resources for Writers
  • 226 poetry markets
  • 316 photography markets
  • 25 African-American markets
  • and 166 contests (29 new)
Every Christian writer's organization that I know of recommends this book. It's a must-have. And I'm already wearing mine out.

'Cause articles rarely sell themselves.


2 comments:

ORANGEHOUSE said...

I have been told I need to get into some writers groups that can give me feedback about my writing. Are you in such a group?

Chaos-Jamie said...

I have two different critique groups and I belong to one national organization that has local groups. (www.acfw.com) They are for fiction writers, but they put up with me and my non-fiction, snarky, self. I highly recommend finding yourself a batch of writers. If nothing else, they make you feel normal.