Thursday, January 22, 2009

I was starting to think I was losing my mind

OK, so my wry sense of humor returned while I drove to pick my kids up from school when I re-saw what it was I thought was funny on Tuesday.

First, let me just say that I DO respect the office of the president. I haven't exactly been quiet about my, um, preference for who would lead our country for the next four years, but I do believe that God puts every ruler into place for SOME REASON and now that we have the guy we have I intend to pray mightily for him.

And secondly, I am proud of how far our country has come. More about that in a bit.

But a couple of things have struck my funny bone and I think that I have a reader or two that will find them funny also.

First, the bumper sticker I saw while driving on FIVE different highways last Thursday IN TOWN to run two simple errands.

01-20-09
The End of Reason

Yes, the print was tiny and it could have said any number of things and I was going 65 and trying not to get in a wreck, but I think that is what it said. Considering I expected it to say "the start of world peace" or "change has begun" or "we won, nanner nanner" it made me laugh. And I'm still chuckling now, a week later.

**

On Tuesday many people were flying flags. Many people pulled their yard signs back out. And in one particularly jubilant neighborhood, there were balloons and streamers. Amidst this jubilant neighborhood with flags and signs and balloons was one lone house flying its flag (wait for it) at half mast.

**

So, Tuesday morning I was trying to be positive. I DO love how peacefully our country transfers power. And if I want to be happy when the guy I vote for wins, I have to at least be nice when the guy I didn't vote for wins. I have children to teach, after all. So, I was trying to express to Eldest that we were getting a new president and that it was a big day. He said, "I wanted McCain to win," and I agreed, "But, he didn't. And blah, blah, blah, respect the office, and blah, blah, blah, but it is still a big day that you will want to remember because this is our country's first brown president. It's a big deal." And HE said, "But I wanted to be the first brown president."

Well, yeah, when you put it that way.

**

I'm sure most of you have heard people wax philosophical about whether our new president could be the Antichrist. (Here's hoping he ISN'T.) And do I honestly think he is? No. But I do know people who are pretty convinced that he is. However, I do have to agree with my BIL when he says, "I wish they would quit calling Obama's new ride, 'The Beast.'"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally did NOT connect the dots between "the Beast" and "THE Beast", lol.

I saw a "Yes We Can" sign over by the school and thought to myself "that's not such a great slogan. I say that a dozen times a week. Yes, we can have ice cream. Yes, we can have a movie night. Yes, we can play Wii.".

I just never thought to put it on a sign.

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

LOVE Eldest's comment! I wish he would have been the first brown president too! He could still be the next...

Mrs. Nurse Boy

MotherT said...

Love the post! The bumper sticker could have just as easily been seen on one of our friend's cars. He's determined to think the worst. Love Eldest's comment! I agree with Mrs. Nurse Boy, maybe he will get to be the next one.

Sir Nottaguy-Imadad said...

Looks like someone is getting her bloggy grove back.

BTW, you may find this as funny as I did, but my word verification was "dorkeye"

Angi said...

I so needed those laughs today!