Friday, August 08, 2008

Radar

Children are like vultures. They have inherent radar telling them when an animal is going down and they swarm in for the feast.

To my fellow patrons of Hy-Vee, I apologize profusely that your shopping trip was polluted by my child's fit. However, I do not apologize for not giving in to his fit and your indications that I should possibly do something to SHUT HIM UP weren't helpful AT ALL.

See, the liberals among us have taken away my rights to spank my child in public. I believe they are the same people that are so annoyed by children that they won't have any and leave the future of this planet to "breeders" like me. You won't let me discipline my child, you don't have any of your own, and yet you dare judge me.

Yes, I'm certain that you "crying" at my child helped exceedingly. You are a very impressive human. Thank you.

Kids are not perfect and parents can not make every decision for them. If a child decides that he is not embarrassed to make a scene in the store, the child will make the scene. When you react to the scene, it shows them that they are in control. If I had given in to the scene, he would have made another one the next time he wanted to do his will rather than mine. And yes, I could have left my cart, gone home with my screaming child and come back later, but I don't have time for that nonsense. If I was at the beginning of my shopping list, yes, since all I had to do was check out, I think you will survive.

So there.

And to the nice gentleman and lady who checked me out and bagged my groceries, thank you. You were very pleasant. You may talk about me all day, but you were nice to my face and you deserve an award for courtesy. I may have to call you manager and let him know.

3 comments:

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

Been there, done that.

It is no fun!

I hope your day got better, or someone got in a good nap. And by "someone", I mean YOU!

I know I needed a nap every day this week :0)

Mrs. Nurse Boy

Julie Carobini said...

If I'd been there, I'd have been the one praying quietly in the corner for you and thinking 'been there!'

MotherT said...

I think you handled it well!!!

I'm not a proponent of giving in or leaving early. Children need to learn to control themselves in public as well as in private. It's a lesson that seems to be in short supply judging from some of the young people and young adults that I see daily in the bank!

My daughters learned that I was not above embarrassing them by giving them a public time-out if necessary. (The weight bearing beams that show up periodically make great substitute corners!) And amazingly enough, it didn't take more than twice for either of them.