Monday, August 25, 2008

Wild Goose Chase by Mark Batterson

Here's a challenging book for ya.

I keep telling Hubs: I think you should read this. I think you would really like this. I think this would be appropriate for you in this time of our lives.

He keeps saying: Really? Ya think? That good, huh? and my favorite: Why?

Well, you know, only if you are happy Not Dying, rather than Living. Or Getting By. Or Making a Living rather than Making a Life. And any of several other catch phrases. (And some of those may be mine and not his, so don't shoot me if you don't see one in there.)

But catch phrases aside, he makes a lot of solid points.

Here's part of the intro:

Most of us have no idea where we’re going most of the time. Perfect.

“Celtic Christians had a name for the Holy Spirit–An Geadh-Glas, or ‘the Wild Goose.’ The name hints at mystery. Much like a wild goose, the Spirit of God cannot be tracked or tamed. An element of danger, an air of unpredictability surround Him. And while the name may sound a little sacrilegious, I cannot think of a better description of what it’s like to follow the Spirit through life. I think the Celtic Christians were on to something….

Most of us will have no idea where we are going most of the time. And I know that is unsettling. But circumstantial uncertainty also goes by another name: Adventure.”

This book has made me change the way I look at life and the way I pray. It has also made me very uncomfortable in my routine. And is part of the reason I'm losing sleep. But I think it is all for the better. So I encourage you to check it out.

And if you comment, you may just get a copy for free.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw you reading it this weekend and it looked like a good book. Are you sure you're losing sleep over the book or caffine? :) Sorry about that, just your MIL speaking.

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

I am reading Basic & Clinical Biostatistics.

It sucks!

I do not recommend it. If you leave a comment you can win it.

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

Nevermind! I just spent $64.00 on it, so I am keeping it. It is worth more than my car.

mommy4life said...

looks interesting - although I don't know if I can afford to lose the sleep..