Monday, October 29, 2007

On the Loose

I've spent the last two weekends binging on fiction. For whatever reason, I've been reading a lot of non-fiction lately (and much of it is getting on my nerves, so you must wonder why). I'd forgotten how easy it is to read fiction. Or better said, how hard it is to put down...that I can read a whole book in two days (mostly evenings). Anyway, all that to say that I think this is why I had a very vivid dream last night about being in high school with an evil PE teacher.

What is rather humorous about this is that my PE teacher, although not my favorite teacher in HS, wasn't particularly bad. That and PE/Health I shared with Hubs when I had a major crush on him so even the intolerable was quite enjoyable...

Anyway, though I'm reading something else this week, last week I read Jenny B. Jones On the Loose. Call it chick lit for teens. Teen chick-lit. There are so many levels to this book. The protag is this troubled teen in foster care and her issues in High School (exacerbated by her situation). It is one of the first Young Adult (teen) books that I've read in a while that didn't make me regret a million things about high school. If you have a teen girl, I highly recommend it. Katie makes mistakes, she has a mouth on her, but she is also genuinely trying to better herself, even if she is misguided.

If you don't have a teen girl, I still highly recommend it. Call it women's fiction in a young lit voice. She deals with breast cancer and fear. And she deals with the foster system. It makes me feel an urgency to get myself certified so that I can foster and make a difference. (Even though I know now is NOT the time.)

I can't wait to read the next episode in the Katie Parker Productions. Actually, I can't wait to read the first episode in the Katie Parker Productions (even if it isn't necessary to enjoy this one).

Hopefully, tonight Mr. Penner won't be laughing maniacally as he eats good food in front of us while making us eat some funky unhealthy chicken salad something just before we do a bajillion sit-ups to demonstrate that our eating habits are killing us. Seriously.

Yes, I know this came out of nowhere considering what I wrote yesterday. I don't want to think about my mental clutter this morning. I'm going to go through my closet and declutter and hopefully declutter my mind with it.

1 comment:

Jenny B. Jones said...

Thanks for the great review. You've obviously got a LOT to do, so the fact that you picked up and read On the Loose makes me smile.

Thank you!!!