Monday, July 17, 2006

Welcome to the World, Sweetheart!

Last night as I drifted off to sleep I prayed that my sister-in-law would go into labor naturally and apparently, she did. This morning, shortly after 8 she delivered, much to our surprise, a tiny girl.

I should learn to not believe that mother instinct. It failed me twice.

Anyway, I spent much of the day traipsing around town searching for gender specific clothes for my new niece. I came up empty. To find something that tiny, in a summer outfit (or three) that is cute is nearly impossible. And then I zeroed in on my problem.

I'm too practical.

The thing is, I hate to buy something I wouldn't put my newborn into. I have three kids. I'm into simple. But not really. I like snaps all the way down the outfit. Easy in, easy out. Especially necessarily for those diaper blowouts that are sure to happen. I don't like collars because they never lay down and are always up in the baby's face. I like cotton. Who wants to sleep hot? And what that boils down to is that what I pick out will be somewhat boring. Mediocre at best. Because without collars and with snaps....well I'm reduced to onesies and sleepers. I know her sisters will run out and buy super cute things. I know they'll see her before I do. She'll have this whole pile of adorable baby things and mine will just look....plain.

I just wish functional came cuter.

I'd love to buy one of those teeny swimming suits. (But my head says, I wouldn't be caught dead in a swimming suit when my babies were new, I'd be surprised if she will. So what's a baby need with a suit?)

I'd love to buy a ruffly dress. (I couldn't find any that came that small.)

I'd love to buy a hip pair of jeans. (It's not exactly jean weather.)

What's a girl to do? A case of diapers just doesn't say WE ARE SUPER EXCITED ABOUT OUR NEW NIECE!!! Even if we are.

Anyway, congrats Fam, we're thrilled for ya.

1 comment:

kpjara said...

So just stick something fun and fluffy in with the functional thing! You're a mother...you KNOW these things...you crack me up by the way!