Sunday, December 07, 2008

Neither Urban Nor Rural

My church is so white....and decidedly not Mennonite.

I couldn't help but crack up tonight when, after a dinner banquet and during our entertainment portion of the night, our grouping had no idea what to do.

Let me set the stage.

A decidedly un-white group of young adults came in to sing for us slash lead us in worship. First we all sit and watch, then the leader type guy says "sing with me" and we all stand (because that's what we do when we sing) and then he goes on to another song that no one knows and no one knows if they can sit or stand. And a couple songs later I sit, together with a few other people.

This is when I admit to my MIL that cantatas can't be all bad. At least the program and leader tells you when to sit and stand and when to sing along and when to just listen.

I'm good with "worship" and I'm good with "performance." When I can't figure out what I'm supposed to do? Not so much. I'm so busy trying to figure out what I'm supposed to do with my feet, mouth, and hands that the holy portion of the evening is lost on me.

Tell me I'm not the only one.

But let me say that there was some harmony on Breathe that set my spine a-tingling. Like eight part harmony. Don't hear that often.

Not even in the Mennonite church.

No comments: