Tuesday, April 11, 2006

The Secret Life of Becky Miller

Think you have a rich fantasy life? I'd muster a guess that you've got nothing on Becky Miller. While most moms of preschoolers fantasize about visiting the restroom alone, Becky is dreaming about being Samurai (okay, she doesn't say that, but some kind of Asian body-guard), a race car driver, shipwrecked (with her kids--what's that about?) on a deserted island, saving the world, and exceedingly more. Yet in reality, Becky lives the mundane life of an at-home mom: over-committed, undervalued and often the target of explosive stomachs.

To quote Meredith Efken: mothers are mired in the "morass of the mundane." I love that. Though I think she is quoting an editor's rejection letter....you should ask her.

At face value, The Secret Life of Becky Miller seems to be mom-lit, and yet I didn't find myself laughing much. Don't get me wrong, I found a few chuckles...I particularly identified with chapter three, but I saw a little too much of myself in Becky (excepting possibly the too-good-to-be-true husband). Regardless, there is much value besides laughter within the book. Becky, like many of us, wants to do Big Things for God, and she has a pretty good idea of what she thinks that means. And, like most human effort, her good intentions crumble about her--whether or not her well-meaning church ladies spout the appropriate platitudes.

This is where I would ex-postulate on how much I HATE to be told "It's just a season!" Except this isn't all about me and my irritations.

I could really identify with Becky. My friends all seem to have their lives together. I often feel like mine is falling apart. And sometimes I fill my life up with things that I can accomplish and get recognition for rather than things that I'm supposed to do. The Secret Life of Becky Miller is a much more serious take on Christian motherhood than first glance will indicate. Don't go into it looking for a barrel of laughs (that is if you struggle with the same issues as Becky and I) but go into it expecting.

I'd quote my favorite line here, but there is a note on the title page that asks me not to quote this not final version. My paraphrase won't capture it, but let me say; it can be so much better than this if we will just get on God's boat instead of swimming in the unfulfilling mire of our own creation.

Visit Sharon Hinck's website for more info.

And while I'm talking about it, go pick up Captivating by Stasi Eldridge. I have spent my entire day crying over chapter six.

No comments: