Monday, August 21, 2006

I didn't mean to pick it up...

I have to say that I'm supposed to read and review a book about baby sleep (it is pretty good so far, really) and I didn't mean to pick up a novel. I have pages to write before conference for Heaven's sake. But...

I started Cindy Woodsmall's When the Heart Cries yesterday evening (after 8, because it had been calling to me for nearly 30 hours) and couldn't quit. Let's just say I was a less than effective mother today. And if my children will forgive me (and they seem apt to do so willingly) it will have been sooooooo worth it.

Whether you like Amish novels or not, this one is a keeper. I see awards on the horizion. Yeah, I admit that I'm a sucker for Beverly Lewis so if you hate her, well, maybe my recommendation won't cause you to rush right out and buy this book. But maybe you should anyway. Maybe this is what you need to read to re-evaluate Amish novels, hum?

It was so good.

Not traditionally Amish story-like, but enough so.

Not so much lets-create-a-bunch-of-false-conflict-to-keep-our-couple-apart, romance.

Lots of believable conflict, though.

And I'm sorry to say the ending wasn't particularly happy, but was quite satisfying. You can't just plunk a happy ending onto this story line.

Oh, I ached for Hannah.

And Cindy, I expect book two to come out, ahem, SOON. (Can I get my hands on the galleys?)


2 comments:

kpjara said...

I love the Amish books (which was a surprise to me initially). I'll have to check this one out.

Thanks for another referral read!

You better go write!

T. Suzanne Eller said...

Hey Trish, Just stopping by to say hello.

T. Suzanne Eller (Suzie)
http://momiwant2be.blogspot.com