Sunday, March 05, 2006

We've Got a Live One, Folks!

This morning, as I began to dress my two-year-old, he took one look at the clothes, burst into tears and exclaimed, "I don't want to go to church!" He's developed this sudden fear of the nursery. I'm fine with him staying with me and I told him so--he's a quiet kid. Or he could go to the pre-school class even though he's too young because he can sit still and talk in complete sentences. Anyway, you can see why I just got him dressed and ignored his pleas to stay home.

Ten minutes into worship, he begins to yawn and lay his head on my chest and I'm thinking, good, he can just stay with me. My husband tried to take him (we are standers at our church and he is heavy) but he didn't want to go and I didn't want to make a scene. Meanwhile, he keeps yawning.

The yawns get louder and louder and I'm thinking he's being pretty dramatic for a kid who doesn't know that yawning loud is kind of like saying you're bored with the service. I asked him, "Are you sleepy?" He nodded yes, yawned and puked all over me.

Lovely.

I gasped, made a quick turn and exited the sanctuary. Noting that my family didn't follow I sent a friend in to retrieve my husband. Eventually I convinced him we needed to go home.

Now I feel puky. I think it's probably all in my head, but ew.

I sometime wish kids had an indicator light on their foreheads so we would know..."Beep, beep, beep! We've got a live one here!" Sick to stomach! Not just trying to get out of the nursery!"

No comments: