Tuesday, March 13, 2012

40 days: day 20

I think this week will mostly be solidarity with the American poor. That is, eating what is in the fridge. As evidenced by last night's fare.

Sheepherder's breakfast. Basically potatoes and eggs with some bacon and cheese thrown in. All on sale last week.

I don't expect tonight's dinner to be much different. There comes a point when you just need to eat what is on hand because it makes no sense to spend money to buy staples to eat like someone else.

Or, if it makes you feel better, we had potatoes which is a staple food in many cultures. Like Haiti, the DR, Uganda and even Ethiopia.

And in the US where you can buy 15 pounds for $3, it should also be a staple here.

And it is in my house. Which makes it hard for me to pretend that eating a potato is having solidarity with anyone but myself.

No comments: