Friday, March 09, 2012

Rock the Red Pump

March 10 is National Women and Girls HIV/AIDS Awareness Day.

I'm not sure that a year ago I would have cared.

But like a lot of things this year, the things I care about have changed.

My daughter was not affected by AIDS. She is an orphan due to another killer: poverty. But her friends were. And because of AIDS, many more children will be orphans tonight, tomorrow, next Thursday and next year.

I think, based on the email I got, I'm supposed to encourage US women to get tested. So, if there is a chance that you could have it, go get tested. It isn't like we don't know where it comes from. If you live on the edge, make sure you aren't passing it around, OK?

But, I'm asking US women to become aware.

Aware of the devastation this disease has brought on an entire continent.
To be aware of the choices they make that could lead to their own devastation.
And to care.

That's all.

AIDS isn't going to just Go Away.

THOSE PEOPLE aren't going to die off and take it with them.

Those people, many of them, are children who did nothing except be born.

We've got to fix this.

Because THOSE PEOPLE are us.

If I can remember, and if it is warm, tomorrow, March 10, I'll be wearing my red strappy sandals. If it's cold, all bets are off. But I'm remembering some precious people in my life who have to stare AIDS in the face every single day.

No comments: