Tuesday, May 29, 2007

How Do I Love Thee?

Let me count the ways...

I love my kids' school. Yes, that probably makes me psycho.

I've been pretty quiet for the last week because I've run back and forth to school programs, etc., and then I've had ALL THESE KIDS home with me ever since they got out. I'd forgotten how hard it was to try to find time to blog and read blogs with ALL THESE KIDS home all the time. I love 'em, but man do they need attention.

I really struggled with the decision of where to school my kiddos. I have a pretty strong public school camp and a pretty strong homeschool camp pulling me in two directions, but what my heart told me to do was private (read: satisfy no one).

Well, as the school year went on, and tuition payments were made, and frustrations with peer involvement etc. carried on, the shine on the private school option got a little tarnished. But, I have to say, that the positive we've carried away from our first year in school is far greater than the negative.

The kids have learned. Yes. They read, add, know Bible verses (the fruits of the Spirit, even if joy appears twice in their rendition), you know, stuff.

But my Eldest, he was painfully shy. Still is in a lot of ways. But he's come out of his shell. And the wonderful thing about this school is that his teacher knows the progress he's made, too. Thursday he stood on stage and read his "the best thing about the school year" story. Totally mumbling and I didn't understand what he said until I read it later. When he finished, I heard his teacher exclaim, "Way to go Eldest!" Not for him to hear, but just because she was so proud. She understands how far he's come. It is priceless for me to have that kind of backing from his teacher (whom he will have for three more years, Lord willing).

I still remember the Sunday I decided I wanted my kids to attend this school. We were really planning to go public. But the school kids were on stage singing some little song about God. They were all so excited and they came to this refrain, "happy, happy, happy, happy, happy, happy, happy, happy, happy, happy, happy all the time...." and they were jumping up and down and smiling and full of joy. And I wanted that for my kids.

I wanted them to be able to go NOT to a school that tolerated their faith, but CELEBRATED it.

This week they sang a song that had the line "...ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, hallelujah!" Same idea, but now my kids were singing.

We made the right choice. You can't convince me otherwise.

Now to come up with the mucho dinero for next year....

No comments: