Monday, October 06, 2008

Single Sashimi by Camy Tang

If you're looking for some new chick-lit to read (I know you are, Nurse Boy) look no further than to Camy Tang's Single Sashimi. Though I believe she calls it "romance with a kick of wasabi." Sure reads chick-litty to me.

(And what is up with the people who say chick-lit is dead? Did they bother to consult us lovers of chick-lit? No. So chick-lit authors have to go all subversive and pretend they are writing something else and we readers have to go all stealth and read a few pages of every book on the shelves to find it because the covers are no longer pink.)

Ahem.

I believe this is billed as "FICTION / Christian /General" unless you knew Camy when and you tend to think of it as "Asian Chick-Lit." So going from there let me say that it isn't so much as Asian Chick-Lit as Chick-Lit with a lead Asian chick. Who is pretty durned American, if you ask me. And since I'm as Caucasian as white bread (that eats whole wheat) and I LOVED the book, I know for a fact that you don't have to be Asian in any way, shape or form to love it also. That is if you like Chick-Lit, also known as "romance" or "fiction/Christian/general" (as I know you do, Nurse Boy).

By the way, I don't think Nurse Boy has been to the blog since he started back to school. Not that I blame him as who would want the abuse?

So, a bit about the book. And who better to tell you than the back cover, I ask?

"Venus Chau is determined to start her own game development company and launch the next Super Mario-sized phenomenon. However, she needs an investor to back her idea. When Drake Yu, an old nemesis, approaches Venus with a contracting opportunity at his sister's startup, the offer tempts Venus to think the unthinkable.

Venus would rather throw away her PS3 than work for Drake again...but then Grandma bribes Venus to do this favor for Drake's wealthy family. With the encouragement of her three cousins, Lex, Trish, and Jennifer, Venus discovers that even a wounded heart can undergo a beautiful transformation."

If you love chick-lit, you've gotta check it out. As well as the two other books in the series, Sushi for One? and Only Uni. (Not that they are needed to enjoy this one, but if you are discovering a new author, might as well discover her fully, eh?)

Oh, and on another topic, my spell checker doesn't recognize contractions as words anymore, but won't point out an obviously mangled word. If I screwed something up in the book description, it is wholly my fault. As are the misspelled words everywhere else.

What do you expect? I was in the 49th percentile in spelling in middle school and I fear I've only gotten worse.


4 comments:

Camy Tang said...

Thanks for the review, Jamie! I'm glad you liked the book and weren't put off by too much "Asianness." That's good for me to know. :)
Camy

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review.

I'm so excited to read this!

Sarah Pekkanen said...

Hi there -- I also love chick lit (and won't ever agree it is dead!) That's how I came across your blog.
If you have a moment, would you mind checking out my website too, at www.sarahpekkanen.com ?
I'm a brand new author, and I'd love to get some early feedback from book-lovers. If you like the site and want to sign up for my private monthly emails on my homepage, I'm sending out the first chapter as soon as possible -- and holding drawings for goodies like books and chocolates every month (and I know we have the same taste in books!
Take care,
Sarah
www.sarahpekkanen.com

Chaos-Jamie said...

Camy, you are a crack-up. Put off by too much Asianness? I can't imagine being put off by too much Asianness. Maybe because, as one friend described it, "Asian" isn't even considered a minority because Asian is too much like Caucasian in lifestyle...as much as Caucasian is like Caucasian over the varied income brackets.

Of course I live in the Bible Belt Burbs and am ignorant of racial stuff for the most part.