Saturday, August 04, 2007

My Public Profession of Wrongness

Hubs tells me I misunderstood him.

Let it be known that he did not say this isn't what he wanted to do.

I, apparently, am wrong.

On the other hand, I am also right. He says that a successful company isn't a life long endeavor. I argue that it is for some people and he's been telling me that all these years about the guy that started McDonald's and how many companies failed before he was successful and if he had quit at the first or even 35th failure where would he be today (not killing off the next generation through obesity, perhaps?)? If he could use it all those years to make his point, I think I can use it now to make mine.

I think it is unfair for him to argue that this wasn't a life long endeavor when, call it luck, he was able to make it work for him in his very early 30s. Sounds a little ungrateful to me.

He sort of agrees.

I wanted to cure cancer. When I was in high school I thought I'd be a doctor. When I was in college I was going to be an immunologist. I started grad school and worked in a lab that may, eventually, make some discoveries that lead to the obliteration of cancer (may it be so). There is a life long aspiration that I've given up on. But there really aren't that many of that type of aspirations out there. Not biggies like building a rocket in your backyard and shooting yourself off into space (and am I the only one who was bothered by the fact that his "wood" bard didn't go up in flames when he took off, not once, but twice?).

Anyway, I guess I do still know my husband. I was a tad worried there for 24 hours.

Back to the reason he is right: he thinks we don't think big as a people anymore. No more space race. No more splitting atoms. No more "be able to fly." It seems to me it is because we've conquered it. But people thought we'd never fly either. Maybe time travel isn't all that off, we just don't see how to get there. I don't know.

So if that's what he means, I'll give him the "right" and try to get over the incredulity that his statement caused. After all, we have a whole lifetime ahead of us.

No comments: