Wednesday, August 15, 2007

A Quick History

I see I have some 'splanin' to do.

Hubs and I have been married for 11 years and change. We always intended to adopt. Probably a minority sibling group once "ours" were getting up there in their teens. Except "ours" didn't come as easily as we thought they might. (I HATE the term "ours" now, by the way.) Three years of infertility and two miscarriages later we decided to change our plan a bit and go ahead and get started adopting. Since the foster care system wouldn't give us the time of day, we decided to go private.

Three failed adoptions later, we got Eldest (who is fully African American). Three weeks after that I found out I was pregnant again. I'd been bleeding when I attended a "healing service" at a Joyce Meyer women's conference. Whatever you believe about evangelists or God, I stopped bleeding that night and carried Princess past term. She and Eldest are 9 months and 5 days apart in age. Currently both 6. We're between birthdays.


I'd just turned my adoption paperwork in to the agency again when I found out I was pregnant with Frodo. He is 23 months younger than Princess.

Eldest began to ask for a sibling that "matched." I was earnestly looking into adopting again when I found out I was pregnant with Charming. Due to some dreams I'd been having, I was certain HE was a SHE. When I found out HE was a HE, we promised Princess we'd try to get her a sister. Just as we've been promising Eldest we'd try to find him a "match." We never intended to isolate him in this Aryan family (that was tongue in cheek. Hubs once had a roommate who was Jewish and referred to Hubs as Aryan. We are NOT Nazi's.)

I'm convinced, not only that we should have another child of color in our family, but also that we should have a girl. I think she is supposed to be biological. That's a stinking lot of children in the 21st Century. I love them dearly, but man, the people think you are freaks when you do that.

So, there you have it. Basically seven years of life (or two years of blogging) condensed into one post.

1 comment:

MotherT said...

I think it's great that your family is a mix of adopted and biological! When the time is right and the right child in need comes along, you will have the child that Eldest is praying for.